1. What is your science fiction series going to be about?
Before I get into specifics, I have to preface this question.
My sci-fi trilogy is part of a more extensive series set within the fantasy universe known as Ephalon, which spans the genres, fantasy-epic, urban-fantasy and sci-fi fantasy.
This trilogy is the final part of a larger ongoing story, but can also be read standalone.
– Book one follows a group of scientists who travel to the deepest part of the planet known as the Eye of Ephalon (22 km deep). Almost fifty years prior an alien metal was discovered which drastically advanced technology. The metal is now being mass produced for space and marine technology. The Arcturos submarine which is the culmination of a long project is now ready and will dive to uncover Ephalon’s secrets at the absolute bottom of the ocean.
– Book two and three are direct sequels, so I’ll only highlight the sci-fi elements that’ll be explored. The Ephalon Space Pillar, which is a massive structure that allows people to go into space without the use of a rocket. This structure is loosely connected to a space station in orbit. The station possesses a massive railgun which is used to fire small spacecraft from the space station into a capture net on one of the nearby moons, which has a colony. The final book will be a wrap up of all the story arcs and back story I’ve presented up until that point, the culmination of 8 books prior, and the finale to a thing that happens at the very end of the first sci-fi entry.
2. What specific sub-genre within science fiction will it be?
– Sci-fi fantasy
3. What tropes do you think are important for that kind of story?
– I intend to avoid tropes as much as possible. Throughout my entire series, I’ve maintained the stance that things are presented in a realistic/believable fashion when taking the setting into account.
But I suppose having the series star a team of scientists is tropy, although I’d argue that without them it wouldn’t be as interesting. Everything else I can assure you will not be.
4. What are some of your favorite tropes in the science fiction genre?
– An AI gaining sentience and wanting to get rid of humanity. That’s a solid one.
– Faster than light travel scenario’s. Ironically I’ll not include either.
5. What is your all time favorite science fiction story?
– I have to confess I’m an absolute lover of Stargate.
– More so than anything else, I love stories that include genetically modifying people/creatures to create horrible abominations. (My love for sci-fi horror probably shone through a little there.) My current urban-fantasy book explores this, as the progression of technology is quite different on Ephalon when compared to earth.
6. Which science fiction author is your favorite and why?
– Gene Roddenberry, the man opened my eyes to the possible future we as humans ‘could’ achieve. He was great, and very much ahead of his time. Although by today’s standards maybe not so much.
7. Recommend a great science fiction book or movie that we might have missed.
– The movie Sunshine. I liked this one, a solid alone in space with a crew movie.
8.Anything else you would like to say about your plans goals or science fiction in general?
– Expect to see my sci-fi novels released sometime during 2020, and finished around 1st quarter of 2021.
9. What is the best way to find you online?
Twitter @ephalon_series or my website