1) Tell us about your current or last science fiction novel.
My current novel I’m working on is a Cyberpunk Thriller about a killer who can hack into peoples minds and forces them to commit brutal murders. The idea came to me when I decided I wanted to write my first full length novel. I wanted to create something grounded but still heavy in sci-fi and I’ve always enjoyed thrillers so I decided to try and mix the two.
2) How did you get started writing science fiction?
Science fiction has always been a favorite genre of mine in almost all mediums. It offers such a vast openness to new ideas and creations.
3) What specific sub-genres within science fiction do you write in and why?
Currently I’m writing in the Cyberpunk sub-genre. I’ve always loved Cyberpunk for a lot of reasons and there isn’t nearly enough novels in that sub-genre so I wanted to explore it and see what I could bring to the table.
4) What tropes do you think are important for that sub-genre?
Cyberpunk is one of those genres I feel like relies heavily on it’s tropes. Advanced technology with a heavy emphasis on body modification and augmentation, strong dystopian vibes, dark seedy underworld and imposing corporate presence are common as well.
5) Do you prefer to write in first or third person and past or present tense?
I write in third person. It’s what I prefer to read and it’s what comes to me naturally when writing.
6) What is your favorite part about being a writer?
I love creating worlds. Building characters and events and seeing them all play out. I love trying to push my imagination to its max.
7) What is the hardest part about being a writer?
The hardest part for me is just writing haha. Currently writing is only a hobby so sticking to a schedule and making sure I made consistent progress is hard sometimes. I’m always caught trying to fit it in when I can.
8) What stories or authors influence your writing?
My biggest influences are definitely Jeffery Deaver, Stephen King (even though they aren’t Science Fiction), James S. A. Corey has been a huge one recently with The Expanse series.
9) Recommend a great science fiction book or movie that we might have
missed you didn’t create?
Six Wakes by Mur Lafferty has been one I’ve been praising for a while now. It’s a great story with lots of great world building.
10) Anything else about you or your novel that you would like us to know?
When/If my novel does get picked up and published, I plan on getting a tattoo to celebrate haha.
11) What’s the best way to find you online?
You can follow me on Twitter
and on my website TheStoryCraft.com